Alle a le Montagne


So another week has gone by at my internship in Moncaup. It has been an unconventional work week, but a fun one!

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: we worked the usual day… can’t remember what else because it has been a while and the days are starting to blur together.

Friday: no work for me because Claire went to her friend’s house and since she didn’t have to work, neither did I apparently.

Saturday: resting day before the mountains. Also, it was Amelie’s “surprise” that we were going to all eat dinner on the couch and watch TV. Although it was a cute idea in theory, it didn’t really work out that well with the five of us and two very small tables full of food.

Sunday: we left to go to the Pyrenees with two aunts and uncles, and two of the cousins (Elise and Francois). We were staying in a refuge that night that we needed to hike to in order to get there. I think it took about two hours and we were eventually to an elevation of 1804 meters by the time we were finished. The refuge was on the most beautiful lake, Lac d’Estom. We had lunch on the lake and hung out there for a few hours before the sun went down behind the mountains and it got cold. Later we had dinner at the refuge and Manon, Francois, Elise and I tried to play Monopoly. Operative word there being “tried” because they didn’t know how to play and I couldn’t explain the instructions well enough in French. So that was a lost cause. Sleeping in a refuge….it’s not fun. Especially with strangers. I think the room that we were in had 16 beds and we took up ten of them. Also, luckily for us we got to sleep in the room with all of the young children. Needless to say, the kids woke up in the middle of the night whining and crying….then Phillipe and his brother were snoring…and it was one million degrees. I didn’t sleep much that night.

Monday: we hiked again. This time we ended up being just under 3000 meters in elevation. Our final destination was another lake, Lac de Labas, that was equally beautiful as Lac d’Estom. The hike to get there was pretty intense, but really fun at the same time! We got high enough to reach the snow on the mountains which is something I’ve always wanted to do (mostly just to touch the snow and have a snowball fight while it’s warm) and we also got to cross some pretty intense paths that had moving rocks. I say pretty intense, but really I was terrified I was going to cause an avalanche and was so hesitant every time I took a step. I was so slow and everyone thought I was hilarious…I was just trying to be safe. Anyways…we ate lunch at the lake and traveled back down to the refuge and then down to the car so we could head to the grandparents house to eat dinner. Side note: climbing down a mountain is much more difficult than climbing up it. It takes less time, but it’s much harder on the body I think.

Tuesday: BASTILLE DAY. But they don’t call it that in France. I tried to ask so many people about it and no one had any idea what I was talking about until I said the actual date. It’s known as la fete de nationale or quatorze juillet here in France. The Tour de France was coming through a nearby town that day so we went out to watch which was something I was really excited about because I was hoping to see Le Tour de France since before I even got to France. Anyways…we set up a little area on the side of the road that the cyclists were going to ride down and waited for the parade to start. Way in front of the actual cyclists there is a huge parade that comes through that has all of the companies that sponsor the race. They all play music and have floats that are themed with bicycles and they all throw out free stuff. (Including Madeleins, yum) The parade lasted about half an hour or so and we had tons of free stuff from hats, to snacks, to magnets and key-chains. We divided all the stuff up between all the kids and myself then had lunch before the cyclists came through. We were at the beginning of the route so most of the cyclists were still in a pretty big pack but the guys in first and second place were pretty far ahead of the rest of the pack. I think they ended up winning that stage. I was really looking forward to fireworks, thinking that Bastille Day would be similar to Independence Day. However, there are apparently only really fireworks in pretty big cities so I waited up until 11 or so to watch the firework show in Paris on TV. They had a huge concert with an orchestra for a few hours in front of the Eiffel Tower and then had a miraculous fireworks show afterwards.

Wednesday: First day back to work…really exhausting. Moved the lines up on the posts with Claire for a while and then removed pumps.

Thursday: Pumps and de-leafing. I found two baby birds nests in the vines, one that was empty and the other that had the ugliest little baby birds inside. They must have just came out of the egg because they barely even looked like birds at all.

Pictures don’t really want to upload with the Wifi so they will have to wait.

A bientot!

I love mountains

I love mountains


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s